Monday, December 15, 2008

Californication

Dear Diane,
I'm sure this probably isn't your type of show, but I just took a study break to watch the season two finale of 'Californication'. It's a great show.
Quick synopsis: David Duchovny stars as Hank Moody, a New York writer who moves to LA(which he hates) to write a screenplay for one of his books. He ends up staying because the love of his life and his daughter are there and he's trying to win them back. Through it all he lives a life of suspended adolescence through sex, drugs and rock and roll.
There's plenty of reasons to love the show, including the sex, drugs and rock and roll, but the part of the show that has me really into it is the emotional aspect of the story between Hank and his daughter. It may sound horrible, but the character of Hank Moody is exactly the type of father I want to be some day. Well, maybe not EXACTLY, but I definitely see the merits of his parenting style.
Let me explain; Hank is a guy who, no matter how screwed up his life is, is always there for his daughter. He trusts her to make her own decisions, but is willing to show parental discipline. He sets an environment where she's free to come to him with her problems and gives his 2 cents without judgment, dishing out the wisdom he's gained from his long list of mistakes. But most importantly, he makes it known how much he loves his daughter through actions, not just words.
This season ended with him letting his ex-common-law-wife go back to New York alone so that their daughter could stay in LA. His words as he gave up on his dreams were "At the end of the day it's all about her. It's always been about her. I can't control what happens between us; Lord knows I've tried, every which way. But what I can do is be the best possible me I can be for her."
I know I'm not even close to being the type of guy who is ready to make those sacrifices, but when the day comes that I have children, I'll be looking to the parenting advice of the tremendously damaged Hank Moody.

No comments: