Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Law School Thoughts

Diane,
I'm entering the final stretch here on my first semester of law school. I've done all the assignments that need to be done and I'm now in full exam preparation. It's amazing that I have been in Tulsa for 3 and a half months now and how that time seems like forever.
Right now I'm thinking about how much the classroom dynamic has changed since we started. In the past few days, I've talked to a couple of my friends about how they're so happy that they'll be able to change seats next semester, having chosen to sit next to somebody in every class that they immediately connected with, who they now hate. The people that you initially are best friends with eventually show who they really are and are no longer the people you want to associate with. I remember my first week here and the 8 or 9 people that I was close with, or thought that I'd be great friends with; of that group only 5 are close friends of mine and the others I could care less about.
This place is an island. You get locked into a routine with a small group of people who are now your peer group. With the amount of free time you realistically have, there's little opportunity to expand your circle and you end up running into the same people, day in and day out. There's bound to be gossip, hookups, blowups, and any number of decisions that come back to bite you by the time your first semester is over.
I don't think I've screwed up all that bad. I think I'm four good days away from a free ride in January. But I look around and see how much things have changed and you can't help but wonder if this stressful period will become a little more relaxed in January, or if it will keep climbing to it's crescendo in May. All I know is that I'll be breathing a little easier on the 18th...regardless of if that breath is sticking to the insides of my lungs like a frost-covered spiderweb.

No comments: