Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Ice Man Cometh

Diane,
It's 15 degrees Celcius, partly cloudy, no wind, and we're in the Midst of a state of emergency. Gov. Brad Henry declared a statewide state of emergency about an hour ago in anticipation of the big ice storm that is coming through tonight. It has probably hit in a few parts of the state, but here, it's still nice.
But the people here; WOW! Everyone is going nuts! I went to the grocery store to get a few things in case I'm stuck inside for the next couple of days, and the grocery store was packed. There wasn't one cart in the front of the store as I headed in. Tulsans were stocking up and bracing for a big winter storm. The gas stations are the same right now; there are lines out of the parking lot trying to get gas and it's infuriating.
But I guess the locals know better. 2 years ago, power was out for almost a week. Some of my 3L classmates had to take their finals in the dark. Last year, the town froze up for 4 days, with school being cancelled for 3. Tonight I feel like I did when I was little, hearing about the snow coming and hoping that I got to miss school and sit inside watching TV all day. Sadly, nothing has changed, haha.
UPDATE: I woke up this morning and ran to the window, looking for ice and snow....NOTHING. We've been in a "State of Emergency for about 15 hours now and we haven't seen any change in the weather, other than a drop in temprature. Well, I guess it's off to school for me.

No comments: