Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Keynote

Dear Diane,
Tonight we had the keynote address of our orientation. It was delivered by Judge David Lewis, which was exactly what it was supposed to be; inspirational. He told us stories about his path to where he is today, and how it's a lifelong adventure. He urged us to become immersed in the profession of law and to take every opportunity to gain knowledge from our classmates and peers. He also challenged us to be the best we can be and read us this poem:

Be The Best

By Douglas Malloch

If you can't be the pine at the top of the hill
Be the scrub in the valley, but be
The best little scrub on the side of the hill
Be a bush if you can't be a tree

If you can't be a bush be a bit of the grass
Doing something for somebody's sake
If you can't be a muskie try being a bass
But be the liveliest bass in the lake

We can't all be captains, some have to be crew
There is something for all of us here
There is big work and little for people to do
And the task we must do is near

So if you can't be a highway then be a great trail
If you can't be a sun be a star
It isn't by size that you win or you fail
Be the best at whatever you are

This poem spoke to me and was the most important thing I will take away from Judge Lewis' address. It meant so much to me that I tracked him down at the reception to find out the name of the peom, which he gave to me. I felt honoured.
At times I have sat on the sidelines and waited for things to come my way, but today I feel like I am on the right path. I have an opportunity right now in front of me to be the best I can be, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Mrs. Cardinal, I swear to you, I'm going to make you proud.

1 comment:

Mrs.C said...

You ARE on the right path, Aaron, and I am already proud of you. I am very honoured to be the contact on your blogspot. Mrs.C