Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thoughts on Tulsa

Dear Diane,
Tulsa is great city, but there are some interesting things I've noticed as a Canadian here in the Southern Midwest. Before I got here, I was tolf how friendly everybody is here, which is true in social situations, but just when you come across individuals on the street, no one is too talkative. I've always been a person who will acknowledge someone's presence when I pass a person on the street, but even when there's no one around, people seem to just keep their heads down and ignore others. It's a little odd to me, but maybe I'm just overly friendly.
The city is very easy to get around. The streets are on a grid that sees the East/West streets numbered from North to South, and the North/South streets with names after places like Universities(Harvard, Yale) and cities. The city named streets tend to bunch together by state, and are easy to find when you know where a geographically similar street is located. Trying to find the Grey Snail on Peoria, I knew I was getting close when I saw street names like Rockford and Racine. Makes things easier, but like I leaned last night, you can still get lost and end up on the other side of the city(eg. finding the street you're looking for after 2o minutes of looking, but being in the 8000 block when the address you're looking for is 2640).
But anywho, it's time to get back to class. I'll update you later.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That layout sounds infinitely better than Winnipeg, despite your unintended cruise around Tulsa.

You are just too darn friendly. I don't randomly awknowledge people I don't know on the street. Unless we accidentally make eye contact, then maybe I'd do the obligitory smile.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the deleted comments... I guess you CAN'T edit comments on this thing...
-----

Just try waving at someone as you pass them in your car, and see where that gets you.

I got in trouble from Steph for saying 'hi' to passers-by in Toronto. It seems like such a basic, common courtesy to greet your fellow man. It really can brighten someones' day, and I really can't understand why larger urban centres have frowned upon this custom.

The fact that they are cognisant of your feelings in social situations means nothing.

To upset someone in a social situation could have bad consequences "did you know who that was? that was the bouncer's brother!" or "You just hit on my girlfriend!" and to befriend someone can have very positive results -- partying, free drinks, connections to a job or a girl, etc.

People's kindness can be judged based on how they treat a stranger.
There is no physical incentive to be kind to a stranger. There's nothing material to gain. The personal risk is still there, that the stranger will not like the way you looked at them and will stab you, or something to that effect. (does this actually happen often outside of busses???) Most people will determine it's not worth the risk if there's nothing to gain, but there is. You just may make a difference in that person's life.

It's important that you give each person the dignity and respect they deserve. They are your brothers & sisters in creation. Yes, that brother or sister that you wouldn't trust to let her borrow your money or posessions, but your brother or sister nevertheless.

\/\/\/