Friday, November 21, 2008

The Master of Useless information

Mrs. C,
Over the past few weeks, I'd helped organize an event for our law school called "Quiz Bowl". It was a night of trivia co-sponored by my fraternity, Phi Alpha Delta, and a new local pizza place called Joe Mamma's Pizza. You put together teams of 4, $5 per person, and answered random pop culture questions for school bragging rights. All the proceeds went to cancer research.
Our expectations were small; 12-15 teams and a small buzz around the event. What we got was the most talked about event in the law school over the past 3 days. By the end we had standing room only in the restaurant and 31 4 person teams! Being as competitive as law students are, everyone wanted the bragging rights as the best team out there.
Trivia junkie that I am, I made sure I had a team in place(made sure I wasn't part of drawing up or party to the questions either). Somehow it'd gotten out around the law school that I'm some sort of trivia genius and I was getting head hunted by other teams. I decided to make my own; Brent Parkey, Meghan King, Jordan Wiswell and I made up "The Unconscionables".
Last night, in front of an ultra competitve law school crowd, The Unconscionables were crowned 2008 Univerity of Tulsa College of Law Quiz Bowl Champions. It wasn't even close. Our final score was 162 pts and our next closest rivals were at 148. It was beautiful
I gotta say that felt really good to win it, but now it's time to prove that I've got knowledge that actually matters. Off to the library to polish off my paper and study for contracts...but you better believe I'm gonna be talking trash all day.

No comments: