Friday, November 14, 2008

The Beast Within

Dear Diane,
I started reading this book yesterday as a bit of an escape; It's called "Happy Hour is for Amateurs: A Lost Decade in the World's Worst Profession" by The Philadelphia Lawyer. I can't believe how much I love this book already.
Essentially, it is a book about a guy's life as a lawyer and all the things he does to escape his reality. I'm nowhere near his level and I actually enjoy what I'm doing, but his experiences have a ring of truth to them. The first couple of chapters deal with his law school days and had me in stitches, but one paragraph really hit me:

Twenty-six is a rotten age. You're not an adult by any stretch, but you're way past college jackass, going through the tail end of those lost years we all have just after graduation. You're facing thirty, but half of you is still 18. What you really want to say, think, or do is unacceptable. Suddenly everything's serious, staid and stoic, every day another exercise in acting "businesslike" and "professional", suffocating your personality, stifling all the rancid jokes in your head to play a bland office caricature. But that live wire of adrenaline you've been living on for the last decade-the fuel of that mad stretch from sixteen to twenty-five- doesn't just fade away. It builds- relentless, demanding release with nowhere to go, like the pressure in a clogged steam pipe on the edge of exploding.

Pretty much how I'm feeling today. I'm sitting in front of a computer on a Friday afternoon, attempting to work on a memo that's due in 11 days(worth 85% of my mark to boot) and all I want to do is have a good time. I'm not a kid anymore and I know that, but still, there's that part of me that will always long to be the guy who dives headfirst into a situation that where the consequences are far from certain. That Aaron is far from dead; He lies in wait, contemplating his next move. Every now and then he emerges to take a 7 hour drive to Ames in the middle of the night, or dance solo in the middle of a crowded dancefloor. Dr. Bruce Banner had his Hulk; Aaron Faurschou has the intoxication level known as 4Shaw-Drunk.
Will he appaear tonight? Highly unlikely, but like the Philadelphia Lawyer says, it's hard to suppress.
The struggle continues...

No comments: