Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Update time

Diane,
It's been a couple of weeks since I updated and I think it's time for me to get back on the blogging horse.
There was a big secret being hidden in my post about Jenna's graduation; I was heading home on the 30th for her birthday. The only person who didn't know was Jenna. Hell, even our waiter(a portager) knew what was happening.
The plan was that the family would take Jenna out for supper at the Olive Garden for 8:00 and I would show up at 8:30 because my flight was due in at 7:49. Holly had kindly offered to pick me up. My flight touched down almost an hour early and by 7:30 I was standing curbside waiting for my ride(which I had to run for because Holly didn't see me and kept on driving right past me).
As I was told later, Jenna had no idea. She was actually pretty depressed by her birthday because no one was making any effort to make her feel special. She thought it was because her graduation was only 2 days before. As she knew it, she was going out for supper with my mom, dad and Katelyn, but didn't know about anything else. My mom actually played it perfectly and bluffed that we could always do it some other night, which Jenna dismissed, saying "she at least wanted to do SOMETHING on her birthday" When she showed up, the almost the entire family was standing there.
I'd been picturing the moment I walked in since we planned for me to come home...and it went as well I could have ever imagined. I was outside the Olive Garden and could see the family just being seated at the table, so I called Katelyn and had her hand the phone to Jenna. I played dumb the whole time as I walked into the restaurant still talking to her on the phone. She was sitting at the end of the table with her back partially to the entrance and was so focused on the phone call that she didn't notice that the entire family had gone silent. My mom says "Jenna, Jenna..." to which Jenna replied "Mom, I'm on the phone...with Aaron". I had been standing 5 feet away from her for a good 7 to 10 seconds and said "Turn around". When she turned, I could see the shock in her eyes. She yelled "SHUT UP!!!" and jumped on top of me in the biggest hug I have ever had. I couldn't believe it went so well.
Went out friday for Halloween to Whisky Dix. I still say the name of that bar is probably the worst I have ever heard, but it's a pretty cool place, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and spend some time drinking at a living monument to alcohol-induced erectile disfunction. It was a good time, but spending $20 to get in anywhere is a steep price for a prairie boy.
Saturday was the Bomber game. It was nice to see the boys one last time on the field, especially in the beautiful November weather Winnipeg was having 2 weeks ago. They won handily, which is more than I can say for this weekend's steaming pile. But I digress.
Saturday night was back home in Portage. Holly, Josh, Jeff, Mark, Ryan and Dan came out from Winnipeg and we put a pretty big dent in the Texas Micky that I was given for my birthday. We sat around and talked about anything and everything, including creating a more interesting backstory for the house. Did you know: The house at 102 1st St was built by Frank la Prairie, founder of Portage la Prairie? His ghost still haunts the house and his inbred, illegitimate children remain in the attic, creating future generations of la Prairie's that the homeowners use for firewood. It's a sordid tale.
Sunday was lazy. I spent most of the day just cuddling with Holly, which was one of the things I had wanted to do since I left. I definitely had missed her and it was great to get to spend some quality time before I left.
Overall, it was a great weekend. I got to see family, friends and almost everyone that I wanted to see while I was back home for exactly 72 hours. I even got to see that lazy, good for nothing 104 year old son of your's, Harley Cardinal. Too bad about that hip replacement he needed.
But anyway, I will have a law school update relatively soon for you. I know you're interested.
Later Mrs. C.

1 comment:

Mrs.C said...

You better believe I'm interested ! Keep up the good work !