Saturday, September 6, 2008

It's been a while

Dear Diane,
It's been almost 2 weeks since I last wrote, and I really should get back into the game, keeping you informed of the goings on in Tulsa. Right now, I think have just enough time to tell the story of yesterday afternoon.
I got my laptop on the 16th of August. It was a decent price to begin with, but with all the upgrades and modifications I made to it, the price went up a couple hundred dollars. But I needed it for school, so it was justified. Yesterday, I found out that I apparently hadn't spent enough.
I was sitting in a review session for Contracts and opened my Word processor to take notes. I was able to open the document, but for some reason I couldn't make any changes, like typing new notes. Since I had yet to find the Product Code that I needed to initialize my Microsoft Office, I figured that I had been locked out until I found it, so I called Best Buy to find out what it was. On the phone, I was informed that I didn't purchase Office and that what I've been using for the past 3 weeks was only a trial program; I needed to come in and pay an extra $100 to get the real deal. Not happy.
My little rant on him goes as follows: I'm a law student. I informed the guy helping me of this, even showed him a paper with the specifics that I needed for school. He took his time to go over the Product Service Plan that he figured I'd need, he even told me that they could install additional security on it for a $150(both of which I bought), but how in all that is Holy could they let me walk out the door with a trial copy of office when they knew that I would be using that program each and everyday?!? He didn't have anything to say to that.
I find out that through the school I can get a copy of the program for 10 bucks, so I don't need to deal with the good people over at Best Buy, but this happened at 4:50 on Friday afternoon. I have a research assignment that is due next Wednesday that I was planning on knocking out and had no way of getting it done, since I needed to submit it in word. The businessnoffice closes at 5 PM and I'm all the way across campus. So I dump my laptop on my buddy Jordan and take off running.
Just so you know, I've started running again lately, and I went to the gym to use the track for the first time yesterday(beautiful facility). I ran 3 miles yesterday, which is pretty much my max right now. Why is this important? Because I am now wearing skate shoes, with 9 minutes to spare, running on pavement with legs that are screaming for me to stop. I'm weezing, weaving and sweating my way across TU in a feeble last gasp attempt to salvage my weekend and keep my sanity, cursing Bust Buy the whole way.
I run through the doors of Twin Towers and see the housing office. I walk in and ask the woman at the front dest where I can find the business office.
"Business office? That's in MacRae Hall, across the quad. But it's 4:57, you're not going to make it!"
"I was told the business office was the place to go to get a copy of microsoft office. Is that really at MacRae Hall?"
"Oh no, that's the computer office. Up the stairs and to your left." Whew.
Twin Towers is under construction, so the place is an absolute mess. Doors are blown off; plaster and drywall reign. There is no sign of a staircase. 4:58.
I run to the other end of the hall andd find a guy to tell me where the stairs are. They're apparently hidden behind a door that looks like a closet with no sign. Guy looks at me like I'm crazy for not knowing that. Sorry buddy, but I was just looking for a staircase, I don't need to be flipping statue heads to find the batpole and Wayne Manor. 4:59.
I run up the stairs and down the hall, getting to the door with a second to spare. The guys were just walking out the door for the weekend. And now? I get to do my assignment! Yay, what I prize.
Moral of the story: Ask every possible question when dealing with buying a computer. It isn't fun when something like this happens.

2 comments:

holls said...

I don't need to be flipping statue heads to find the batpole and Wayne Manor.

I love the way you write, haha.

That salesperson at Best Buy is a total weiner though. Word? What student needs Microsoft Word? Only keeners, that's who.

4Shaw said...

Should read "AT Wayne Manor", but you get the point.