Sunday, September 7, 2008

Silver Lining...

Dear Diane,
I'm sure you watched the game today. A 34-31 loss after leading by 17 going into the 4th. I'm listening to Bob Irvine dissect the corpse of this all-but-dead team and actually I'm smiling. It's not because I hate my boys in blue, it's not because I jumped ship to the US and I'm not around to watch them find new ways to lose; It's because I'm thinking of my Grandpa Mazolleck and a story my Uncle Rob told me years ago.
My grandpa was a huge Bomber Fan and is one of the reasons I followed the Bombers as religiously over my life, but he was banned from the stadium by my uncle and his buddies when the Bombers had a huge lead over the Riders one season in the late 80s- early 90s. He yelled out "Put in Hufnagle!" at the Riders coaching staff and the did. John Hufnagle lead the Roughriders to a huge 4th quarter comeback and enraging the bomber faithful. For years my grandfather got flak for it, which he always took with a smile.
Not pleased that the blue pulled another loss out of the jaws of victory, but it's always nice when a good memory of my grandpa comes to mind.

1 comment:

holls said...

HAHAHA. I remember that story, and I can't think of a time when it's ever been more relevant. I wonder what he thinks of the Roberts situation?