Friday, September 12, 2008

Should I book a flight home?

Diane,
About a month before I left, I became a delegate to the Conservative Party of Canada Policy convention for the riding of Portage-Lisgar. I was unsure if I was going to be able to make it, since I was likely leaving for school, but I had such a great experience in Montreal at our last convention in 2004 that I didn't want to miss the opportunity if I was still in the province.
In the leadup to my leaving, I had a conversation with a wise political friend of mine who told me not to worry about it since we were likely going to have an election in the fall and they would call off the Policy convention. His logic was flawless; The CPC would be hitting up the core supporters for money during the election, the same people likely to go to the convention, where costs are considered donations to the party; election laws limit the amount of money you can give on an annual basis; therefore, no convention because alot of delegates would have hit their cap for donations.

I get this in my e-mail today:
Dear Convention08 delegate,
Even though a federal election has been called, the Conservative Party of Canadas Convention 08 will still take place, as planned, from November 13th-15th in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If you have not done so, please make travel plans and book your hotels as soon as possible to ensure you receive optimal dates and accommodations. Hotels and flights are booking up.

My wise friend was wrong and now I have a delegate spot from a country away. I want to go, but this is looking like it will be a last minute decision. Any ideas?

1 comment:

holls said...

Well it all comes down to responsibility, doesn't it? Can you handle missing 3-4 days of law school, close to the end of the term? Are there big projects around then? Is it worth getting behind or slacking in your work there for 3 days of fun in Winnipeg? Pro and Con my friend, pro and con...