Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Funny Story...

Madame Cardin-al,
I haven't done much writing about my actual law school experience, so I think I should rectify that. It's alot of work, but it is a great experience. The workload is...manageable; the people are awesome and, on the whole, the professors are the best that I have ever had. There's one thing that sticks with me...no one can pronounce my last name.
Over the course of the past 7 weeks I've spent a great deal of time trying to teach people how to say it, and for the most part everyone catches on after 1 or 2 corrections, the one exception being my Torts professor, Professor Chapman. She's a good professor and does well teaching us, but she has a problem with a great deal of the names in the class, which makes it tough in an environment where professional conduct requires that she call us by our last names. After 6 weeks of getting my name mis pronounced ("Far-Shoo", "For-Show", "For-Shoo", ect.), I finally just said in class "Aaron will be fine"; which got a huge laugh in class. Today, Professor Chapman again called on me, but this time she just looked at my name and gave up, deciding to just call me "Mr., uh, Aaron", which again got a laugh. At the break, I decided to help her out. I went to the front of the room and spelled out "4-Shaw" above my name on the seating chart for her. After the break I again raised my hand and when she called on me and said my name right for the first time, the entire class erupted in applause for her. She got a little red in the face, but took it in stride. Didn't expect the response, but it was a pretty funny moment.
Ah well, back to my contracts book. Later.

No comments: