Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lest we forget.

Dear Diane,
Today is Remembrance Day...Vererans Day here in the US. I'm at school, in classes, because it isn't a holiday that is held in the same regard as it is back in Canada. I'm very disappointed in the response and the respect that is shown to veterans here.
I've always heard the jokes about the Canadian Military and how if it wasn't for the US and their mighty armed forces, we would have been taken over years ago. True or not, it really makes me proud to be a Canadian when I think about the pride and support we give to those who serve our nation, not only when they put on the uniform, but after they take it off. I don't see that here.
I wish I could have attended a service today, but it's just not possible. I did sit on my couch at 11 in my apartment, turned off the TV, pulled up the Last Post on YouTube and had my own moment of silence. It was nice, but it still didn't feel like home. Kudos Canada, on instilling the sense of pride and tradition in everyone that makes them want to show their respect even when no one else is.

No comments: