Monday, November 9, 2009

A visit to Geekdom

Diane,
Not sure if you're interested in what makes me a geek, but I've always read comic books. Started with Archie when I was 8, moved on to Superheroes when I was 12. It's always brought me happiness to pick up a new issue and escape for 15 minutes or so.
I pretty much had stopped collecting comics(other than Spiderman) when I got to University, but about 4 years back a friend suggested I check out a Zombie comic called "The Walking Dead". It's an ongoing black and white graphic novel that starts out alot like the beginning of the movie "28 Days later" with a guy waking up in the hospital after a zombie apocalypse. His original goal is to find his wife and young son to see if they're still alive...and he finds them in issue 3.
The difference between the movie and the comic is that the story never ends. It is more about the interaction between characters; the development of civilized characters living in an uncivilized world. The most interesting stories in the book are the relationships between the characters and how there is a underlying distrust of other humans. At the heart of the story is that what the survivors have to fear the most is other survivors.
The latest story arc dealt with the survivors being stalked by a group called "The Hunters". We find out that these "hunters" are desperate people that love meat- but can't catch animals- so they've turned to hunting and eating human beings, who are much easier to catch. Our survivors are able to turn the tables on the hunters in a kill-or-be-killed moment, doing what they need to to survive and protect the weaker members of their group. When they finish, the leader, Rick, who has changed more than any character in the book, realizes exactly how far he's strayed from his humanity, but concludes that if he had to do it again, he'd still act the same way. Desperate times...
Why bring this up? AMC has optioned the comic to become a TV series. This is incredible news because I have always thought that this book would make a great television series; one that everyone would get excited over and want to watch. It's going to be directed and produced by Frank Darabont, the same guy who directed "Shawshank Redemption". I think this project is in very good hands.
Lots of hurdles to get over, but I'm hoping to see this show up sometime in 2010. I think it's going to be a HUGE hit.
And tell Jeff Spriggs to finish reading issues 1-50 so I can let someone else borrow them. Thanks.

No comments: