Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Back Home

Mrs. Cardinal,
Tried calling your new place last night to get ahold of that son of your's. Apparently he doesn't answer the phone if he doesn't know the number, and he doesn't know mine. Let him know I'm back in town and looking to hang out. I think he'll appreciate getting out of the house for an outing.
So I made it home safely. Exams were tough, but not impossible. I think I'm learning how to prepare for finals as I go along and it makes it easier to understand the materials. I'm hoping to continue the upward swing in my transcripts again this semester.
Went out to Tavern United with a couple of friends last night. Its one of the reasons I love coming home to Portage la Prairie so much; You go out with one or two people and you end up being around so many folks you haven't seen in forever.
But it has its downside too. Whenever you go out in a small town environment, there inevitably is someone that is sitting with you that you don't know. Since you know everyone else, it's assumed that you know EVERYONE. You can't introduce yourself, because there's that fear that you already know the person and you've forgotten. So you sit in silence, looking for clues; someone saying their name; talking about who they're dating/have dated; mentioning a drunken night that everyone was at that could jog your memory.
But if that never comes, it's time to confide to a friend. If you're lucky, that friend will know who the person is. If not, the best you can hope for is to compare the notes you've taken over the course of the night and try and figure out the mystery together.
Last night that happened 4 times to me at the same table of 12. I figured out two on my own, one I'm reasonably sure on, and one I'm still wondering about. As it is small town Manitoba, I'm sure I'll get another chance tonight.
Welcome home, Aaron!

No comments: