Monday, December 14, 2009

Rounders

Dear Diane,
I love poker; Especially Texas Hold 'Em. So much fun to just sit at the table with a bunch of friends and spend a night talking, drinking and playing cards.
I'm sitting on my couch in my living room with a Professional Responsibility lesson on my computer and the movie 'Rounders' on the TV. The movie is one of my favorites. But the way Teddy KGB plays the final hand just caught my attention and it might ruin the movie for me.
Matt Damon's character is holding Suited 8/9 of Spades and flops 6 of Diamonds, 7 of Spades, 10 of Hearts, which gives him his Straight. He has everything that he needs to win and slowplays Teddy KGB to win the hand and all the money on the table. It's a perfect end to the movie, except there should be no way that a good player would have anything that would win that hand for them.
KGB calls out that Damon is 'chasing' cards, which means that KGB already has something on the flop. KGB obviously doesn't have the straight, flush, or anything the resembles a monster hand, so why is he so confident? The best I can guess at what KGB might have is pocket 6s, 7s, or 10s, but even then he shouldn't be as confident as he is.
Bottom line, the way KGB's character is set up in the movie, it's pretty unsatisfying to see such a great movie end without him showing the cards and revealing the bad beat, especially after the great beating KGB gave him at the beginning of the movie with the pocket Aces. But I'll always love the movie anyways.
P.S. 16 here and sunny. Went ice skating outdoors without a jacket yesterday at the arena. I'm guessing no one is doing that back home, lol.

No comments: