Monday, December 7, 2009

Roommate blues

Dear Diane,
I don't think I've ever written you about my roommate Jason. He can be a nice guy, but I feel like I'm living with Oscar Madison from 'The Odd Couple'.
When I moved to Tulsa a year and a half ago, I was looking for a place on campus to live, and my only option was to live with someone. Jason seemed okay through the computer, so I agreed to move in with him. Over the course of the next year I learned that Jason is an abrasive, alcoholic shut in that has bouts of depression and a mouth that would make a sailor blush (seriously, I've looked around the room sometimes in his presence and seen the eyes go to the floor when he goes on one of his rants). His hygene sucks too, but I steer clear or his room.
People asked me how I could live with him, but it was surprisingly easy. We know we're not friends(but we're friendly), and he stays in his room alot. I get my room, plus the common areas, pretty much to myelf. When I weighed it against the posibility of living with a friend that I would probably end up being with 24/7, the choice was simple. We would have exposed each other to our qwirks and probably ruined the friendship. That would have made this year so much harder.
But recently I've been rethinking that decision. More than anything, I hate people who are dishonest and he is one of the sketchiest people I know. The electrical bill has been a real problem. Last month our power almost was cut off because he didn't pay the bill(it is my contention that since the bill is in his name he pays it and I pay him as soon as I see a receipt). He claimed he didn't have the money and it was my fault he didn't pay the bill. He went so far as to have his mother call the housing office and have me called to the carpet for it. I gave him the money and thought that would be the end of it.
Imagine my surprise when I opened the bill this month and saw another disconnect notice. Apparently he'd taken my money and paid it to the electric company, but failed to pay any himself. That sketch-bag left over $80 left on the bill after he cried to his mommy about not being able to pay the bill because of me! I was furious then, and I'm still seething about it.
Finding some of my beer missing from the fridge tonight and him claiming he must have been drunk when he did it because he doesn't remember just reminded me of the whole ordeal. I'll be glad when he graduates or flunks out.

No comments: