Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bon Chance, Doer!

Diane,
Gary Doer resigned last week. Oh, happy days!
I was sitting in my Admin Law class when my sister shot me a message over facebook that told me that he was gone. I felt like Don McLean the day Buddy Holly's plane crashed...except this was the day the music returned! I had to sit in class for the next 20 minutes with this news over my head that I wanted to celebrate, but couldn't; I was shaking by the time he let us out of class.
For all I say about the NDP, Gary Doer was actually a very capable premier of Manitoba. He may have spent too much and not done as much as I would have liked with the tremendous increase in revenues that he recieved, but at the end of the day Manitoba isn't in terrible shape. I give him as much credit as I can for that.
I think he'll do well in the role of ambassador to the United States. It will be nice to see Manitoba with a friend in that position, given that we will be going full speed ahead with centreport. But the best part is Gary Doer is totally neutralized for the 2011 election that will be won and lost on policy and vision, rather than Gary's cult of personality.

No comments: