Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back in Tulsa: Summer Recap

Diane,
I took the summer off from blogging because, well, I was home and I had better things to do. I was able to converse with you in person this summer, which was better than writing everything down on the blog. But I'll do a quick recap of the summer's happenings:
Work- Spent the summer working for an accomplished Canadian Member of Parliament. I won't mention names, but working in the office this summer gave me some paid political experience that I've never had. Lots of interesting days, but there definitely were some boring ones where the phone wouldn't ring and I had to fight the urge not to spend every minute of the day surfing the internet for entertainment.
What I will say is this: His office is probably the best run, most efficient political organization I have ever seen. Working there gave me some insight into what a political ognaization should(and shouldn't be). I didn't agree with everything that goes on there, but for the majority, I was wowed.
Free time: I didn't have much. I worked a lot, and spent much of my time when I wasn't working with family...AKA yard work.I saw 2 of the 3 Bomber games that I could this summer(thanks for the schedule, CFL!), saw a few concerts, a fair amount of movies(Hangover and 500 Days of summer being tops), but for the most part I was off the party radar. For the first time in 5 years I didn't do anything for my birthday. There wasn't a theme party, or a giant get together; I just didn't feel like it.
Relationships: Main reason I didn't feel like partying on my birthday. Holly and I were long done by the beginning of the summer, but I didn't know it yet. Part of me always hung on to the hope that we'd just fall back together everytime my life stopped for a second and I had the time and want to be there for her. But a funny thing happened while I was off living my life; she started living her's.
I discovered this early in the summer and spent most of my time in Manitoba whining to get back in. I dated a few girls while I was home, but none of them felt like a fit for me and I always ended up back on the phone with my ex, feeling out the possibilities of getting back together. I felt like her old dog Toby, who used to stand at the door whimpering to get out, only to turn around and cry to get back in again immediately. It was pretty pathetic.
Now that I'm back in Tulsa, with a lot of distance between us, I see how bad I was this summer. I still love her, but it's better that we're not together. Maybe we can be friends and someday...who knows? No point in dwelling on possibilities, I guess.
Family: Things are pretty good in the family. I worry about dad sometimes with all the pressure that's on him. Mom's doing well at the shop. Katelyn is going back to school in a week. Jenna is settled into her place in Morden and Mike has a car, which means Jenna won't need to pick him up all the time.
I'm going to make a few posts today and make more of an effort to post every couple of days. Hope everything is well at home, Mrs. C.

No comments: