Monday, September 14, 2009

Political Posturing

Diane,
As you know, I'm interested in the Manitoba political scene. No secret there. I was reading the Free Press this morning and this jumped out at me.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Ashton-team-suggests-first-ballot-win-59226762.html
Steve Ashton is holding a press conference to discuss his brisk membership sales in the NDP leadership race. Apparently, he has so many that it's possible that he'll win on the first ballot. I had him pegged as the winner, but this news actually has me wondering.
This seems like a classic bluff; puff out your chest, act like a winner, and hope that you draw the bandwagon jumpers in. It's a strategy that worked in the past, but it often backfires. I remember the rumoured 5,000 membership books that one candidate had supposedly taken out during the PC Leadership. When the votes were counted, there definitely wasn't 50,000 people voting for him.
What I like about the announcement is the way politics are changing in the province. Gary Doer has long steered this province by setting a low bar and coming through with what he promised. It's worked wonders politically, as we've trotted out promise after promise that seemed unrealistic to the voters.
If I'm right and Steve Ashton is going to become the next Premier of Manitoba, then this bravado is a good sign for all those drinking the haterade. The NDP moves left, reverts to campaigning on vision, and Manitoba's moderate population has to reconsider where they park their votes. Interesting days ahead.

No comments: